Book Review: Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin







Title: Serpent & Dove
Author: Shelby Mahurin
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Release Date: September 3, 2019





Blurb:


Bound as one, to love, honor, or burn. Book one of a stunning fantasy duology, this tale of witchcraft and forbidden love is perfect for fans of Kendare Blake and Sara Holland.
Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.
As a huntsman of the Church, Reid Diggory has lived his life by one principle: Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. But when Lou pulls a wicked stunt, the two are forced into an impossible situation—marriage.
Lou, unable to ignore her growing feelings, yet powerless to change what she is, must make a choice. And love makes fools of us all.
Set in a world of powerful women, dark magic, and off-the-charts romance, book one of this stunning fantasy duology will leave readers burning for more.




Review:


I'll be honest, I was very skeptical on wether or not I would enjoy this book. It sounded right up my alley, yet it was being hyped up everywhere. And I tend to not enjoy some of the most popular books out there, but I have been dying to read this since I first heard about it. 

"Wicked are the ways of women and especially a witch. Their guile knows no bounds."

 I went into Serpent & Dove not expecting much, and winding up really enjoying it!
I really liked the writing. It was easy to read and enjoyable. Loved the characters themselves. Lou is my spirit animal, lol. I liked Reid, although at times I wanted to reach through the book and punch him in the face. 

The story definitely didn't come off like your typical YA, in a good way though. There is cussing and sex. It was nice to see a YA book being a little more realistic to how teens actually act. Though to me, Lou and Reid didn't really feel like teenagers to me. I actually kept forgetting that they are only supposed to be about 18, I believe. They definitely acted and felt more like adults to me. Which doesn't bother me, but like I said, I kept forgetting how young they are. 

"There are some things that can't be changed with words. Some things have to be seen. They have to be felt."

The story itself was interesting, though a little slow at times for me. I could have done with a little more action. It was a little bit more slow paced than I was expecting. Might just be that this is the first book in the dualogy, and is the introduction to the story. 

"Love makes fools of us all, darling."

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was a great debut. I am really looking forward to the sequel, Blood & Honey later this year.





Comments